4.29.2010

Archisculpture: A Studio Space For Santiago Calatrava


So ever since our Gateways project ended a little after Spring Break we have been working on our final sorta project which was designing a studio space for a visiting artist. The whole class of first year IARc students were split up into two groups. One half of the class was assigned the administrative office of the Gatewood Building and the other half was assigned this loading dock area in the Gatewood as well. So I ended up being in the loading dock half, and that started out by measuring every inch of that space which was definitely a challenge. And from there, we had to create our proposal for what we planned to change within the space as well as our artist we had decided to design a space around. I had fought with many people but in the end I went with probably my idol... Santiago Calatrava; a Spanish architect. This guy creates building structures with a rich story and such a delicacy to them as well. After we finalized our artist that we would shape a space around, we were to do tons and tons of perspectives, probably 20 in the end. My first 15 perspectives in which were sort of conceptualization and color schemes as well are here in an earlier post. After this we finally started getting to the final stages by picking out materials, creating a Sketchup model and a real to scale model as well. First I'll show you my final perspectives and some initial Sketchup shots as well.









now I'll show you my final floor plan and final elevations with my proposed alterations to the area. 






and for the final I selected three materials in which I was including in the space, they were poured concrete as the flooring, and a material called Plyboo for the flooring of the level change, and polycarbonate plastic for the kitchen cabinetry. 




and from the beginning I knew I kinda was wanting to experiment with Podium, a rendering plugin within Sketchup. And last Friday I had the chance to, so I went in the lab for several hours and started messing around and had a pretty good turnout and I was proud of the final images.






and finally here are some images of my original model made at 1/4" scale out of foam board and new model at the same scale out of balsa wood. 






lastly I've got some overall board images and the requirements of the board were this... two 32x40" matboards that included 3 hand rendered perspectives, 3 Sketchup perspectives, a floor plan, 4 interior elevations, 2 materials, a color scheme and precedent images. 



and this is our last project kinda... so I'd show you what I'm working on now for my autonomous project which involves 80 sheets of 36x48" corrugated cardboard. You'll find out soon enough! 



WAIT FOR IT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment